Thursday, March 21, 2013

Ok it's easter card time.  You may have noticed by now that my holiday cards are traditional, not religous in any way.  A wise man once told me never to discuss politics or religion in the company of friends, and not to display either in card making also ;)   That's not to say if you want a religous card I will be happy to make you one, it's just that I'm not a religous person.  So to get to the point, I decided this year to actually make Easter cards.  I have never done Easter cards before so I never realized how horrible tacky the holiday's colors actually are!     I dunno....pink bunnies, yellow chicks and purple dyed eggs are pretty, but on the face of the same card they are likely to burn your retinas out.  So I wanna share with you a secret to break up the tackyness of easter cards or any cards in which you may run into this problem.   I have two words for you:  tone on tone. Yeah that's three words.  Bite me. I make cards.  Yes that's right, it's not only the answer to many interior decorating problems it carries over into any realm you wish to color. You see, wether it's couches, shoes or paper, color really is the universal language.  Whatever your application the same rules apply.  To break up tacky use tone on tone.  Here is a picture of an Easter card in process:

   My traditionall brain says use all the tacky easter colors at the same time.  In response, my retinas said "holy crap that's bright!"

But, by taking out the darkest of the colors and replacing it with a darker pink version of the actual card, the yellow now pops agains a frontal lobe pleasing color transition:

  Now I can add all the glitter bunnies I want and not worry about them going blind :)

No comments:

Post a Comment